March 28, 2007

Moses! Moses!

Do we ever act as if God is not fulfilling His promises?

In Sunday School we are going through the book of Exodus. We just finished the end of chapter 5 where Pharaoh had taken the Israelites' straw from them, the straw they used to make the bricks, but yet they were still required to meet their daily quota of bricks; basically causing them to work harder and longer and still coming up short. Moses and Aaron are blamed for the harsh circumstances. Moses says returns to God in verse 22 thru 23 and says, "O Lord, why have you brought harm to this people? Why did You ever send me? Ever since I came to Pharaoh to speak in Your name, he has done harm to this people, and You have not delivered Your people at all."

God responds to Moses beginning in Chapter 6:1 through verse 8. He begins and ends with "I am the Lord." Matthew Henry says that God is basically telling Moses and His people to take comfort from His name, His covenant (He will assuredly fulfill it Himself!), His compassions (God takes note of the increase of His people's calamities, and He will respond), His resolutions (God says in these verses what He WILL DO to fulfill His promises so the Israelites are brought out of Egypt triumphantly) and His gracious intentions (God intends our happiness and He intends His own glory).

All of this made me think how I respond to hard times and good times in my life? Do I look at them like God is fulfilling His promise in me? My prayer is that He will continue to do a good work in me and that He is making me complete. I took great comfort in this lesson on Sunday because I remember the covenant God made with Abraham back in Genesis and I see this huge nation that God is working out to deliver them. And then I remember what God has done to bring His people to Him even now. As believers we are His people, we are the sheep of His pastures, we are the Israelites. Christ is our Moses. Christ has come to redeem us for God. God is fulfilling His promise to Adam and Eve that He would provide a way to restore us to Himself. Praise the Lord! I pray I and you will respond to events in our life as God fulfilling His promise to us!

No comments: