April 25, 2008

No Fear of Death

The ladies at my church are doing a book study on "Stepping Heavenward" by Elisabeth Prentiss. It is such a great book filled with truth and experiences that we as women encounter. It's hard to believe that a book written in the 1800s could mean something to a 26 year old in 2008, but it does. One of our topics last night was on no fear in death. I wanted to share Caroline Fry's dying words and what a peace that she has about dying.

"This is my bridal day, the beginning of my life. I wish there could be no mistake about the reason for my desire to depart and to be with Christ. I confess myself the vilest, chiefest of sinners and I desire to go to Him that I may be rid of the burden of sin - the sin of my nature- not the past, repented of every day, but the present, hourly, momentary sin, which I do commit, or may commit - the sense of which at times drives me half mad with grief!"

Now I have not been at death's bed but I want to have this same attitude, that dying is the beginning of my life. I want to live with the peace that surpasses all understanding that not even death can separate me from the love of Christ.

For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 8:38-39

No comments: