May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day (a day late)

An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, And he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life.
This is my mother. To my knowledge my mom has done good to my dad ever since I can remember. She always seeks to build him up and not tear him down. She is such an example to me.
She looks for wool and flax and works with her hands in delight. She is like merchant ships; she brings her food from afar. She rises also while it is still night and gives food to her household and portions to her maidens.
One precious memory I have of my mom is waking up for school and finding her in her chair reading her Bible and drinking coffee. I knew that when I got up she was there either praying or reading. Sometimes she would have tears and she would tell me what God taught her that morning. Even when I went away to college I remembered that around 6:30 or so she would be reading her Bible and praying for me. Now I'm sure she missed some days here and there, for after all she is not perfect, but it is a memory that I believe puts her in this category of being a virtuous woman.
She considers a field and buys it; from her earnings she plants a vineyard. She girds herself with strength and makes her arms strong. She senses that her gain is good; her lamp does not go out at night.
Now she never bought a field but for many years she would actually plant a garden that did in turn yield vegetation that she would either freeze for the winter or we would eat during the summer. I remember her spending time canning vegetables or fruit that later we would have...like when veggies are so expensive. Also I remember her making applie pie in a jar to give as Christmas presents to her family. One year she also used slate from our yard and painted a stencil design on them and gave them as gifts. My mom is very frugal. Recently I learned that my dad's income when we were little was about $1000. I don't know how she did it, but she did. She managed to feed and clothe her family of 5 w/ little money. She has taught me several cost saving techniques and I am thankful for it!
She stretches out her hands to the distaff, and her hands grasp the spindle. She extends her hand to the poor, and she stretches out her hands to the needy.
Many times I got to see my mom bring food to friends or invite people over to share with them a meal. She really has a gift when it comes to hospitality. She makes anyone who comes in her house feel like they are home.
She is not afraid of the snow for her household, for all her household are clothed with scarlet. She makes coverings for herself; her clothing is fine linen and purple.
Mom is a beautiful person anyway but anytime she leaves the house she is dressed modestly and classy. Many times she made do with what she had in her closet so that we could have new Easter dresses, but yet she always seemed to come out of her room looking very springy and fresh on Easter morning. She made several dresses for me, she even made my high school graduation dress (that had to be white).
Her husband is known in the gates, when he sits among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies belts to the tradesmen. Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future. She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
I believe my mom was the first one to really teach me about the faithfulness of God. How he provides for our every need. She, along with my dad, taught me to trust that He would guide me in all decisions. They rarely shielded us from harsh times in our family. We prayed together as a family and it was as a family that we "learned to trust the smile of His face, but also to trust the blows of His fist” (Spurgeon).
She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Mom was definitely not idle. Not once do I remember her sitting down to "watch her tv show" or "read her book" without seeing to our needs and the needs of her house. She taught us what it means to keep a clean house and also how to cook for your family. The cooking part I think I've picked up on, the clean house I am NOT as disciplined as she is.
Her children rise up and bless her; her husband also, and he praises her, saying: "Many daughters have done nobly, but you excel them all." Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her the product of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.
I truly believe that my mom resembles this virtuous woman. She truly does fear the Lord and it shows in her life. Her comforting words, her constructive criticism and her teaching illustrations have all shaped me into the woman that I am. I appreciate my mom more now that I ever have. I'm thankful for her friendship and her witness to me! Thanks mom! I love you!!!

No comments: