January 23, 2008

What's Going On?

So it's been a while...in fact we are now in 2008! WOW...I can't believe it is 2008...I'm getting so old! I am really writing today because of a sad loss that the Birmingham area is experiencing. The 2 yr old son of Rick and Sherri Burgess passed away last Saturday night due to a drowning in their family pool. It is a very tragic story but on the other hand there is so much hope that has come out of this situation. Rick is one of the hosts of the Rick and Bubba show that is syndicated all over the country. It is a funny show and many times they talk about their faith in Christ. Well this week we have seen that faith play out. Rick and Sherri could not be anymore faithful in their response to the loss of their son. They have said many times that this is from God and although they do not understand what they do know is that God is in control and this will bring Him glory. Rick spoke on Tuesday to a crowd of about 4,000 people and he didn't fill that time with cute stories of his son, he shared the gospel. He said the worst thing you could do to our family today is to leave here and not be changed. His concern for his wife during this time and in the weeks to come is so honorable. I am not trying to brag on Rick, I am really trying to brag on God for the work he has done and is doing with this family. Casting Crowns made an appearance at this memorial service and sang Voice of Truth. This song is unbelievable and is now one of my favorite songs. Hearing what Rick said yesterday has energized me to share the gospel with all I come into contact with. Will you join me? Go to www.rickandbubba.com to hear Rick's message called "A Father's Heart". I definitely recommend it...it's worth 45 minutes of your time! I'm excited to see what God is going to continue to do in Birmingham through this tragic event. It reminds me that what satan meant for evil, God means for good. It's AWESOME! What an awesome, faithful God we serve!

No comments: